Chicken & Chorizo Sausage with Savoury Rice | Recipe
We've no special name for this recipe because it is literally sausages, tomatoes and rice, we really aren't chefs, we just like food...a lot! That said, we promise you this boringly named meal is still bloody tasty, super quick, super easy and perfect for a weeknight dinner that you can pull together from your cupboards. Ideal eh?
- Bapman & Hoggin' Chicken & Chorizo Sausages
- 2 onions - Chopped
- 1 stock pot - we used the Aldi chicken stock pots
- 500g of Passata - Asda's own for us
- A splash of Olive Oil - We used Chilli infused, again Aldi
- 2 tbsp Red Pesto
- Fresh Baby Plum Tomatoes - feel free to substitute these for tinned toms
- Get your rice on the go. Add the stock pot to 500ml of boiling water and add your rice. Adjust if you are cooking for more people. Keep an eye on the rice, give it a stir during the next few steps because the stock tends to make the rice a little sticky and starchy so don't let it stick.
- Splash some oil in a pan, just a splash mind - and cut your sausages. We went for roughly 2cm chunks for easy cooking - get them going in your chilli oil.
- Chop your onions and chuck these in with your oil and Chicken & Chorizo sausages for 8 to 10 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Chop your baby toms in half and add to the pan with your sausage and onion - if you are using tinned toms you can add these once the sausage meat is more or less cooked - by this point you should have nicely browned sausage chunks.
- Add two table spoons of Red Pesto to your Passata, a light sprinkle of salt and pepper and mix into your sausage, onion and tomato pan. Simmer until warmed through.
- The liquid should have been absorbed by your rice by now and it should be a more gooey consistency than you'd normally expect or rice.
- Serve up and chow down.
That's it folks. Tasty, easy and cheap as chips.